1. The key signs in this text are strength, courage, teamwork, and hard work. The video is able to portray those signs by clustering other signs around them. I was able to distinguish these signs because of their prominence, repetition, and intensity throughout the video. These signs are demonstrated by the statements, and images being said throughout the video. Statements such as, "I am a warrior," "I will never quit," "I will never accept defeat," and "I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough" are all clustering signs that further reinforce the main signs. The images of soldiers working together, doing drills, and performing in the field are clusters that accompany the signs. The thing that is most strategically absent from the text is the deliberate statement of the message that is being portrayed. Instead of coming out and saying that the Army is badass, you have to a tough SOB to be in it, and it will help you grow as a person, they use these signs and clusters to inform the viewer and let them interpret the message. The saying "There is strong, and then there is Army strong," is the biggest cluster of the overall message
2. The formal appetite is created through the repetitive form of the text. The overall message is restated in different ways, with different images, statements, and actions. The use of this builds suspense, pride, and interest. The aesthetics come into play with this as well. The music is very "majestic" and powerful to accompany the video. Certain parts of the video have many people shouting in unison which makes the message more powerful. The editing is done to build the appetite as well. They are resolved at the end with the final message signifying what "Army strong" is.
3. Three other messages taken from the video are that both men and women are important to the army. There is a very wide range of different people and positions that contribute to the US Army. Finally, you have to be a strong individual because the tasks required of you are very demanding. This is similar to the other signs because it shows that it doesn't matter what sex, age, race, rank, or position you are in the Army; you still need to be strong and you still can contribute. The expectations these messages foster are the same as any of the other messages. The text is just expanding on those key signs to appeal to a broad audience.
4. The story being told is that there are people from all over the country doing their part in the US Army. There are many jobs and opportunities for you in the army. However, it takes a special person to participate, and it turns you into a special person at the same time. You need to have certain traits to be in the army. Once you are in the army, you must abide by certain rules, morals, and values. You must be better than the average person and be the best at what you do. They key events and characters fall under the same umbrella. The are the actions being performed and the people doing them. They are both kernals. Without them, the message is gone. I can make a video saying how strong the army is and how important it is but if the people can't see for themselves, then it gets lost. There is no replacement for the men and women in this video saying and doing what they are doing. The discourse in this video is composed of nothing but statements. The story is being told with the dialogue. The important part is that there is no conversation, no information, no advertisement, it is just statement after statement beginning with the word "I." The narration is from the soldiers in the army. It is told from their perspective. These would be homodiegetic narrators.
Dominic: Good post! I really like your last paragraph, especially the last half. Very succinct and even poetic! Paragraph 3 needs some detail work: HOW are women portrayed as equal? What kind of jobs do we see them doing? What kind of camera angles/framing emphasize their soldierly qualities? Same with the multicultural representation, which most organizations do very very deliberately. Pretend you're writing for a person who hasn't seen the video -- that's the kind of detail you need.
ReplyDeleteBut, overall, a good job!
I don't think I agree that they strategically left out the message. I do think its the final "cluster," but I don't think that they really left the message out.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had thought about the repetition when I wrote my post. It really does help the message come across, with the one liners and continued images of hard work.
I think that their messages are both clearly stated, but may be far from the realities of life in the armed forces.
ReplyDelete